A family in Harlem is in mourning after their 3-year-old son died from a deadly mistake.
As CBS 2 reports, Elijah Silvera was given a grilled cheese sandwich at his preschool despite them knowing and having documentation that little Elijah was allergic to dairy products.
Elijah had just enrolled at Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem when educators failed to follow a written safety plan, sending the child into anaphylactic shock. According to a GoFundMe page set up by the family, Elijah was taken to Pediatric ER in Harlem where doctors were unable to save him.
“He was just a light — if you see him, he’s just a bright light,” Ruben Porras, a relative to Elijah told CBS 2. “He’s one of those kids that… he was one of those kids that when you walk into the room and saw him you just light up.”
The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene issued a statement on Wednesday (Nov. 8), saying it is “closing the Center for Family Services and continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy.”
(Source: CBS 2)