After three seasons, NBC’s The Carmichael Show has been canceled following the exit of lead actor Jerrod Carmichael. The comedian announced his departure from the sitcom on Friday (June 30).
The 30-year-old co-creator and star issued the following statement to Deadline:
“For three seasons (okay 2.5), I got to make a show that I love with my friends,” he said. “It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was 13. Now, I’m excited to go make other things that I love. Thank you to every person who worked on or watched The Carmichael Show.“
Carmichael had been critical in the past of NBC for censoring the series. Recently, he said that he did not agree with the network’s decision to pull an episode that involved as a mass shooting. “Really to me, what it says is that you don’t think that America is smart enough to handle real dialogue and something that reflects real family conversations and something that feels honest and true and still respects the victims,” Carmichael said.
The Carmichael Show will wrap its third season later this summer.